Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bruce and Tom....















Totally blown away when I read last night that Tom Morello joined Springsteen and band for a version of Bruce's Ghost Of Tom Joad.

Blown away for a few reasons;

1/ its one of my favourite Springsteen songs. Its the best song off his 1997 album The Ghost Of Tom Joad
2/ its one of my favourite Springsteen songs that anyone has covered
3/ its one of my favourite Rage Against The Machine songs they have covered

Back in January I met Tom at his The Nightwatchman show here in Sydney. Nice guy. We chatted about a few things. It was a quick chat. But I did manage to tell him that I kick his ass at Guitar Hero! We spoke about our mutual admiration of Springsteen for a bit. I gave him a few recent Springsteen live recordings (Devils, Dust & Debuts, The Paris CC show from 2007 and a few others I had laying around). I asked if there was a chance Rage could play Tom Joad at the show I was seeing of theirs the next night. He said he would love to as it was one of his favourite Springsteen songs, but the band hadn't rehearsed the song. Rage have been playing a fairly standard setlist since Coachella last year.

Heres a video of the show from last night. Hopefully a closer one surfaces, but for now its a great way to see two of my favourite musicians rocking out on one of my favourite songs.


No comments: