Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dime & me

 

dime-adam

Im there under his arm. Me and Dimebag Darrell from Pantera.

He is anointing me with one of his guitar picks. I scored over 100 of them that day. I occasionally give one out when I find a fan deemed worthy.

dime picks

Dieter and I were at the AIMS (Australian Institute of Music) trade show in Sydney back in 1995. Dime was there promoting the Washburn range - specifically his new line of Dimeslime guitars. Dime was drunk. Or loaded. Who cares. He was the coolest guy ever. Id been in to Pantera for about a year or so at that time. I got into them way later than my mates at school and only really when I heard Far Beyond Driven.

I took a great shot of Dieter and one of his musical heroes that day;

dime-dieter

Its hard to tell who's having a better time getting their photo taken.

Dime signed CD's, tits, guitars, asses, beer cans, tits and the below way cool 8x10 promo photos;

dime 8x10

Since the mid 90's ive listened to Pantera repeatedly. Just great tunes. The last few albums they did were OK, but nothing compares to Far Beyond or a mix of both Vulgar Display Of Power or Cowboys From Hell. Their live album - 101 Proof - is total killer. Check it out.

Pantera did a great show in Russia back in 1991 with ACDC and Metallica. Played in front of over a million people. 1 million people - that's a fuckload of Russians. Heres a cool video of Pantera playing Domination from that gig;

Watch that fucker wail from the 3 minute mark. Holy shit that's good!

Id like to also add that lyrically Pantera were one of the best metal bands ever. Some metal bands its all stupid druids and boring shit. But these guys just had it all. The production, the melody, the solos, the lyrics. Pure metal.

A long time ago I never knew myself.
Then the memory of shame birthed its gift.

No more. The small one, the weak one, the frightened one.
Running from beatings, deflating.
I'm becoming more than a man.
More than you ever were.
Driven and burning
To rise beyond Jesus.

I'm born again with snakes eyes
Becoming
Godsize

I found my life was slipping through my hands.
Perhaps through death my life won't be so bad.

I can see you, can fuck you, inside of you.
Staring through your eyes.
Belittle your friends to serve me, to suck me,
To realize my saving grasp.
I of suicide.
I the unlord.

I'm born again with snakes eyes
Becoming
Godsize

Artist: Pantera
Title: Becoming
Album: Far Beyond Driven

1 comment:

Isus said...

do you maybe by any chance still have this extra Dime's picks ???