Saturday, November 17, 2007

Four new books....

...that ill probably read the first chapter of and then never get around to actually finishing.

1/ Slash by Slash with Anthony Bozza.


Ive been looking forward to reading the first chapter of this for a while. Slash has always fascinated me, ever since starting out as a Guns fan almost 20 years ago. The break up of GNR was pre-mass usage of this here Interweb thing, so you just didnt see all the crap that goes along with a band breaking up or a band member leaving. All we had back then was local or imported music magazines and the occasional music news report. Now you know about stuff instantly. I read recently that Tom Morello knew that Chris Cornell left Audioslave when he read it on the internet!

Anyway..... Slash did some press recently on Letterman, Conan and Ellen that were all just fluff. I know, im biased cause im a fan. At least Ellen was funny. But then again she is funny. Id like to go see her show one day. The conversation centred aroung Axl a lot. Oh well. Anthony Bozza co-wrote the book with Slash. He has doen some good work in recent years. I have his books with Tommy Lee and Inxs. Again, two books that ive read the first chapter of.

Got the Slash book at K Mart for $18. Bargain.

2/ Ronnie by Ronnie Wood


I read an excerpt of this book a few weeks ago in the Sydney Morning Herald. Sounded interesting and thought id eventually pick it up and read the first chapter. When I went to K Mart the other day to get the Slash book - there was the Ronnie book (in hardcover mid you) for $22. Considering its at $49 RRP, me thinks me got a bargain.

Ronnie is in that too cool for school category of Rock N Roll. Sure, he is a brilliant musician (both in the Stones, pre-Stones Faces and his solo stuff), but he come across to me as a bit of a git. Like he is trying to play the fool. Compared to Keef - who is a fool, the damn coolest fool on the planet - he just seems to try hard. I dont know why I feel this way. Im hoping this book will eventually knock me to my senses.

3/ Pigs Might Fly: The Inside Story Of Pink Floyd by Mark Blake


I hadnt heard about this new Floyd book, and when I grabbed the above Ronnie Wood book at K Mart yesterday this book caught my attention. I couldnt recall who Mark Blake was, but for $23 I thought how bad could it be? Upon getting hom I googled Mark and found that I had read a few of his writings over the years. He writes for Mojo and Q magazines and is an expert it seems on all things Pink Floyd. He has also written a Bob Dylan book and a book on Punk that I have seen online and in book stores. This should be a damn fine read. By the looks of things it covers some recent Floyd events such as David Bowie joining David Gilmour to play the Floyd track Arnold Layne at a Gilmour solo show in 2006 and a Syd Barrett tribute show in London in 2007.

Mark's website has some PDF's of his recent magazine articles. There is also some recent reviews of the book. Check it out.

4/ Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton


I picked this up a few weekends ago at Target for $18. What is it with me and cheap books??? This is one ive been looking forward to for a long time. Ive always admired his work, and in the last 10 years have come to read up on his life and how life has inspired his music.

Joe and I saw his first Sydney concert back in January this year. It was a sedate affair packed with guitar nerds and their dads. Brilliant band backing him and it was one of the best gigs ive seen this year.

No comments: